Rural Dixon Man Accused of Shooting 3 Police Officers Denied Jail Release – Shaw Local

Rural Dixon Man Accused of Shooting 3 Police Officers Denied Jail Release – Shaw Local

Rural Dixon Man Accused of Shooting 3 Police Officers Denied Jail Release – Shaw Local

OREGON – A rural Dixon man accused of trying to kill three police officers will remain in prison despite his attorney’s argument that he could be released on parole as his case works its way through the court system.

Jonathon Gounaris, 32, made his first appearance in Ogle court Thursday afternoon. He is charged with four counts of attempted first degree murder, three counts of aggravated discharge of a firearm, three counts of aggravated battery and two counts of possession of a firearm without a license. the identity card of the owner of the firearm.

Police say they shot three members of the Ogle County Sheriff’s Office Emergency Response Team after a three-hour standoff on June 12 when police tried to enter a home in the 400 block of Wild Rice Lane in Lost Lake, a rural subdivision east of Dixon, usually. called The Lost Nation.

Ogle County Deputy Lt. Jason Ketter was shot in the face and taken by air ambulance to OSF Medical Centger in Rockford, where he underwent surgery. He was discharged from the hospital on June 14.

Sgt. Tad Dominski of the Oregon State Police Department and Tyler Carls of the Rochelle Fire Department were also shot on June 12. They were treated at KSB Hospital in Dixon and released later that evening.

The ERT is made up of people from agencies including the sheriff’s office, Oregon and Byron police departments and SWAT medics from the Rochelle Fire Department.

To view footage of the shootings, go to

Gounaris was also shot during the incident and was taken to KSB Hospital in Dixon, where he was treated before being booked into the Winnebago County Jail in Rockford on June 18.

On Thursday, Gounaris was escorted into a courtroom at the Ogle County Judicial Center in Oregon for a detention hearing. In these hearings, a judge decides whether a defendant can be released from custody based on information presented by prosecutors and defense attorneys.

Gounaris, wearing handcuffs, leg shackles and a jumpsuit provided to inmates, walked unaided to the defense table. He was escorted by two Winnebago County corrections officers and Ogle County sheriff’s deputies.

About a dozen deputies and police officers from the surrounding area sat in the back of the courtroom during the hearing.

Judge Anthony Peska appointed Ogle County Public Defender William Gibbs to represent Gounaris after reviewing a financial affidavit completed by the defendant.

In his argument to keep Gounaris in custody, Assistant State’s Attorney Matthew Leisten said the sheriff’s office received a call the morning of June 12 from Gounaris’ mother, who was crying and told police that her son had made suicidal and homicidal comments and had access to two handguns. She left the home and waited with a deputy at the west gate of the subdivision when police were called to the home, Leisten said.

“She woke up at 2 in the morning and (Gounaris) was throwing and damaging things in the house,” Leisten told the court. “He was out of control. She couldn’t handle it on her own.”

Leisten said the mother told police her son barricaded himself in the house and threatened to kill himself or anyone else who tried to talk to him. Leisten said she told authorities her son suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder and generally hated the police.

Leisten also told the court that, according to the mother, Gounaris had “severe mental health issues” and had recently stalked a Woodbridge woman he had become obsessed with.

“He sent that woman’s mother a picture of him holding a gun to his head,” Leisten told the court.

Leisten then read an account of ERT’s attempts to enter the house and speak with Gounaris. When officers entered the home after the exchange of gunfire, Gounaris was found lying on the living room floor with “significant lower abdominal trauma” wearing body armor with a handgun, pepper spray and knife in close proximity.

“He said to the officers, ‘Thank you, thank you. You got me right,’” Leisten told the court.

Leisten argued that Gounaris is a specific threat to law enforcement and should not be released under any circumstances, citing danger to the officers he has already injured in addition to anyone else in the community.

“It was a very violent crime,” Leisten said. “It’s unstable. He should not be released. He’s still a threat.”

Gibbs argued that Leisten’s account of the incident included hearsay “thrice removed” and his client could be released on conditions.

“My client appears to be mentally challenged,” Gibbs said. “I understand that he did not receive treatment. If he is detained, he needs a mental health evaluation.”

Gibbs said Gounaris has family members who live in McHenry County and they agreed he could live with them as his case works its way through the court system.

“He could be ordered to stay there with his family,” Gibbs said.

Leisten disagreed, noting that he had received no information indicating any family members in McHenry County would be willing to have him stay with them.

Peska said Leisten presented “clear and convincing evidence” that the murders took place, noting that Gounaris faces multiple charges of attempted murder.

“There was a pretense that he would kill anyone who tried to talk to him,” Peska said, adding that family members and law enforcement could be in danger if he were released. “There is law enforcement in McHenry County as well. I think in this situation any attempt to try to convince him was in vain. There are no conditions to reduce the risk.”

Peska told Gounaris he could appeal his decision.

“Do you understand these prompts?” Peska said.

“Yes, your honor,” said Gounaris.

Gounaris is scheduled to appear in court at 10 a.m. on June 26.

A news release from Ogle County State’s Attorney Mike Rock said attempted first-degree murder is a Class X felony punishable by a special penalty of 20 to 80 years in the Illinois Department of Corrections , followed by three years of mandatory supervised release. Aggravated discharge of a firearm is a Class X felony, punishable by a special penalty of 10 to 45 years in prison, followed by three years of mandatory supervised release.

Aggravated battery is also a Class X felony, punishable by 15 to 60 years in prison, and possession of a firearm without a FOID card is a Class 3 felony, punishable by two to five years in prison.