Bowler Carse has been suspended for historic betting offences

Brydon Carse

Brydon Carse has been playing for Durham since 2016 (Getty Images)

England and Durham bowler Brydon Carse has been banned from cricket for three months for historic betting breaches, with immediate effect.

The 28-year-old South African-born England international will be cleared to train and return to action for the final four games of the season.

Carse accepted the decision to place 303 bets on various cricket matches and said he wanted to repay Durham for their support.

“Although these bets were several years ago, this is no excuse and I take full responsibility for my actions,” he said.

“I would like to thank the BCE (England and Wales Cricket Board), Durham Cricket and the PCA (Professional Cricketers Association) for their support during this difficult time for me.

“I will be working hard over the next 12 weeks to make sure I pay the support on the pitch when I am able to return to the game.”

The charges relate to bets made between 2017 and 2019 and did not involve any Carse being played. Professional cricketers are not allowed to bet on the sport anywhere in the world under betting integrity rules.

He was suspended for a total of 16 months, but 13 were suspended for two years and will be eligible to return to action on August 28.

Carse has played for Durham since 2016 and has played in 14 ODIs and three T20 Internationals for England.

Cricket’s governing body accepted that Carse showed “considerable remorse” for his actions.

“Cricket’s governing body takes any breach of integrity or misconduct seriously and I would encourage any participant, within the professional game, who has bet on cricket to come forward and not wait to be found out,” said Dave Lewis, interim manager of the cricket team. Cricket regulator.

“The Regulator of Cricket understands the many challenges that participants may face and will handle cases fairly, with understanding and support for anyone who wishes to come forward.

“We also encourage any participant experiencing any wellbeing issue to seek assistance from PCA or another trusted professional source.”