close
close

Gilgo Beach slaying suspect Rex Heuermann to be indicted on another murder charge – report



CNN

Gilgo Beach slaying suspect Rex Heuermann is expected to be arraigned on a new murder charge this week in a New York court, according to CNN affiliate WCBS.

Heuermann is expected in court Thursday, according to a spokesman for the Suffolk District Attorney.

“A number of necessary investigative steps have been taken,” Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond Tierney said at a news conference on another matter. “Thursday, you will see the fruits of that investigation.”

Heuermann, who was arrested in July, is currently charged with the murders of four women whose remains were found buried next to each other on Long Island’s Gilgo Beach in 2010. The four — who became known as the “Gilgo Four” — were among 11 sets of human remains found along Long Island’s south coast between 2010 and 2011. The discoveries launched what police called “one of the most significant homicide investigations” in the island’s history.

The expected new murder charge comes after investigators searched an area of ​​Long Island where the remains of two people were found more than two decades ago, and just days after they again searched Heuermann’s home in Massapequa Park from New York.

A search warrant was executed at Heuermann’s home in May, CNN confirmed at the time along with his estranged wife’s attorney, Robert Macedonia.

Heuermann has pleaded not guilty to murdering the “Gilgo Four” — Melissa Barthelemy, Megan Waterman, Amber Costello and Maureen Brainard-Barnes.

He was charged last year in three of the deaths and then charged in Brainard-Barnes’ death in January. When he was charged in the fourth case in January, Heuermann maintained his innocence, his attorney Michael Brown told reporters. “He said, ‘I am not guilty of these charges.’ He looks forward to fighting these charges,” Brown said after the court hearing.